The Congregational Church in Limington was founded on October 11, 1789, when six men covenanted together to present themselves and their families to the work of the Lord in Limington, Maine. They pledged to govern themselves by the Holy Scriptures with the help of the Holy Spirit, conform their lives to the rules of the gospel, and order their ministry according to the Cambridge Platform of Congregational Churches.
On September 30, 2011, the Congregational Church in Limington vowed together “in reliance upon God for strength … to walk together as a church of Jesus Christ according to the Word of God and the constitution of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.”
This was the culmination of a path that the congregation began to take in the 1960s. The congregation left a fellowship that had become liberal and moved into a conservative fellowship of congregational churches.
Rev. Daniel Wray, who wrote two Banner of Truth titles, became the pastor in 1975. Under his ministry, the church was brought back to its Reformed roots. Among the changes was the election of ruling elders in 1978 to provide spiritual oversight to the congregation. The last ruling elder had passed away in 1832. Ken Blake, the current ruling elder, was converted under the ministry of Pastor Wray. The congregation describes Ken as a rock.
Since the 1970s, the congregation has remained committed to being a Reformed church. That commitment was tested a decade ago, when a pastor rejected the regulative principle of worship. Despite losses, the congregation remained faithful to its new, yet old, commitment to being Reformed.
Rev. Leonard Gulstrom is the current pastor. The first question the pastoral search committee asked him was, “Are you Reformed?” Pastor Gulstrom is a graduate of Mid-America Reformed Seminary. Prior to coming to Limington in 2003, he was the pastor of Faith OPC in Anchorage, Alaska. Previous to that, he was the pastor of Immanuel Chapel in Upton, Massachusetts. That congregation came into the OPC under a pastor who followed Leonard.
The current building of the Congregational Church in Limington (the congregation has not yet changed its name) was erected in 1835. It was built on the same site as the original building. The bell tower was added later. The church bell was cast in 1849.
The process of finding a more conservative, Reformed denomination with which to associate began three ago, when the congregation asked the elders to review the church’s affiliation. It was first determined that there was no suitable congregational church option. Then other Reformed denominations were explored. In January 2011, the congregation voted to unite with the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. The Presbytery of New York and New England received the petition in April and established a commission to handle it.
The Congregational Church in Limington is a God-centered, biblical church, Reformed in its theology, and now Presbyterian in its polity. The preaching of the Word of God is central in its worship.
Pastor Gulstrom asks you to pray that the current elder training class will result in additional elders for the church. Opportunities for outreach abound. Please pray that this new/old Orthodox Presbyterian church will continue to be a light in the dark, hard land in which the Lord established it 222 years ago.
Gainsville Mission Work Organized
Redemption Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Gainesville, Florida, was organized as a new and separate congregation of the Presbytery of the South on November 6, 2011.
Joel Fick, who had been the organizing pastor of the mission work, was in- stalled as pastor of the new congregation. Bill Montgomery was installed as a ruling elder. Steve Reeves, who came to faith in Christ through the ministry of Lake Sherwood OPC in Orlando, was ordained and installed as a ruling elder.
The first meeting that led to the planting of Redemption OPC was held on January 20, 2007. The first worship service was held on June 10, 2007. Oganizing pastor Joel Fick took up the work of helping the group to develop into a congregation in January 2008.